Saturday, August 8, 2009

Oh Canada!!






































My mom was born in a very small town in Canada. She was the only child out of eight that made their way to the good old'e USA. My dad served his mission in Canada and the story is that she chased him home (my dad's version). As kids we vacationed almost every summer in Waterton Lakes, the International Peace Park, still to this very day as we make the turn and round a few corners and spy the famous Prince of Wales Hotel a flood of feelings, all good, overwhelm me. Those of my family, my pioneer heritage, the beauties the Lord created for us, the safety I feel in this small little spot. As kids we roamed freely, mingled with our Canadian cousins, spent our time in a modest cabin, one bathroom for 30 to 40 people and loved every minute of it. Even the longgg drive to get there is part of the journey and cherished memories. The year I was 16 and helped drive I was into antiques, we stopped in Butte and my dad patiently drove to store after store and after an all day treasure hunt, we found a dresser and strapped it to the top of the car. He joked saying it would help me to drive slower but we only drove one hour that day Butte to Dillion and to this day that means so much to me because it reminds me how much my Dad loved me! Oh Canada...P.S. You should all go sometime! You should go with Kris she always meets the nicest people!

8 comments:

suzanne said...

what a photographer you are... HOW BEAUTIFUL!! i LOVE all of your nature shots! i want to go, steve has family there too... i need a good, longgg drive!!

Janae' said...

I get excited every year for YOUR Canada trip. It is finally coming to life for me with your photos instead of just my imagination.

Grama Linda said...

Wow! I really want to go to Canada...gorgeous! I love all the pictures.
Kate is just the cutest little heart melter ever... You sure have a beautiful family.

Zach and Zaira Benson said...

I love the pictures. I'm glad you had a good time, but I'm happy you guys are back!! we missed you...

email and phone numbers said...

WOW. i want to go with you too!

camiwells said...

oh mom I love the picture of you on top by the prince of wales hotel...i bet you were trying to get a whole view of the moutains and lake but your boots got in the way and then suddenly you realized you liked them in the picture haha. I also love the picture you edited of me and tanner and yes it is true love email me a copy k love ya thanks!

Kathy's Boys said...

That is so beautiful, no wonder you love going there. I love family traditions and making memories with your kids. My dad worked in Canada a couple of summers and we spent a lot of time up there in the Yukon Territory. It is so pretty. What building/house/hotel is that 4 or 5 story building in the picture? It looks amazing.

Brittany Seager said...

7 comments!! mrs. Popular! good job on blogging!
ps. my mom meets nice people cause she thinks she is gonna meet nice people lol. ;)